Sunday, August 25, 2013

AP Lit and Comp-First Post

I haven't written for a year and half! Wow, well now I'm in a new AP Lit and Comp class and back on my blog again. :)  
My Strengths and Weaknesses This Year
 I'm really excited to be starting my senior year of high school! I think in some respects this year will be easier because it's my last year and I've kind of gotten used to being at JDHS and I'm more comfortable in school than when I was an underclassman. I think one of my weaknesses is that because I am a senior, I am ready to graduate so it may be harder for me to concentrate on being in the moment instead of thinking ahead. As much as I'm excited to finish high school I'm also nervous. I definitely don't think I'm ready to be an adult. I just turned seventeen a week ago and I can't imagine being an adult in a year from now.  This school year started quickly, and I can already sense that this year, in particular, will be stimulating and fun and I am excited for the future.  I am beginning to narrow my focus of interests and seriously consider what I want to do with my future. 

One weakness of mine is that I'm very anxious and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to assignments. If I know I have an assignment due I will mull over an idea for a while until I'm sure it's the right one and then I will edit the essay over and over again until it's right. Sometimes I stay up late working on assignments due the next day, because I have changed them so much.  I know that with writing, one can edit their piece over and over and never feel it is ready, and I am trying to make my final "enough" but it is a habit that I struggle with.

One strength of mine is that I love creative writing and reading good literature.  I enjoy creating characters and developing their personality traits.  The small details are what develop the person and give them idiosyncratic qualities that flesh out their personality.   When I develop a new character, I make sure that my antagonists and protagonists both have their share of  negative and positive traits so they don't have a "Stepford" quality that will make readers stop wanting to read, and additionally might make them more able to relate.  I'm excited to read new books that will challenge me to write better descriptions and dialogue.  I took a creative writing class in sophomore year and it was my favorite class. When I write, I feel relaxed so I know writing is a great stress reliever.  It takes me to another place and out of my existence, and it is almost therapy.

As much as I love writing in my free time, sometimes I get writer's block so being at school and being forced to produce during class time may help relieve the writer's block I suffer from sometimes. Plus, I'm glad to be back on my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment